Behind Closed Doors

"It's 10:30 already. You should be home."
I hear more fear than concern.
I feel her shaking fingers over the phone.
She tries to hide it behind the chiding,
Doesn't want my eyes to reflect her fright.
Be independent but be safe..
Be a feminist, but be careful.
You don't have to be so vocal.
Keep some of your opinions to yourself.
What's the need?
Why is it so important?
You don't have to be such a rebel!
This is how we celebrate womanhood.
This is how we pretend to help them grow.
Like planting a tree within closed doors.
That is ALLOWED to grow.
Watered daily, nutrition-ed with the best manure,
Let it get engulfed by the filtered rays.
To let guests walk in one day,
"This is the best I've ever seen!"
"Can I have it for my veranda please ?"

Comments

  1. Too good. Talks about the point of view of a mother n then a daughter. More power to u.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts